Once you step into Jazz Tastings you are met by the soothing sax notes of the live jazz ensemble, velvet voice of the lead singer, the clink of wine glasses and the laughter of intimately grouped patrons in a sophisticated yet casually chic dÃ©cor. The ambiance of muted amber lights, rich hue of chocolate wood furnishings, relaxing lounge chairs and a wall of fireplace bricks punctuated with pops of reds, orange and gold, reminded me of a visit to exclusive, trendy soho or Greenwich Village of New York. An impressive wine list boasts exquisite offerings of wine from around the world and the added muses of live jazz lends to the stylish vibe and harmony of fine wine, good company, and inspired Tapas (small tastings).
My guests and I were seated in comfortable lounge chairs and presented with an array of tastings that dazzled the taste buds. The menu, a superb melody of culinary delights was personally created by the virtuoso, Chef Jose Bofill. He enthusiastically describes each sumptuous plate with the passion of a fine artist. He focuses on simple yet, complex flavors, marrying both savory and sweet. We were treated to several tapas plates ingeniously presented in simple, white triple plates or bowls and paired with a Twisted Moscato wine.
- Herb Goat Cheese Crostini with savory spiced fig jam. A grilled salsa Verde garlic crostini, piquant flavored goat cheese. Creamy and heady accompanied by a perfectly blended spiced fig jam with hints of cloves and nutmeg. Delectable and spot on.
- Lump Blue Crab Cakes with black bean chili, roasted tomato relish, horseradish bloomed capernaise. Chunks of lump crabmeat which sits on a bed of ratatouille tomato relish and black bean chili. Garnished with a distinctive pungent caper sauce.
- Chili Dusted Scallops with deep fried chorizo maduro fritter, key lime beurre blanc – a mini tower of plump pan seared chili dusted scallops atop a spicy chorizo sausage and fried plantain. Topped with a fresh tomato, scallion salsa. A perfect union.
- Pork Belly with ginger spiced apple compote, toasted couscous tapioca, sage demi-glace. Robust flavored rub, drizzled with a sage demi-glace and garnished with wilted Swiss chard. Succulent and delicious and complemented with a fusion of Al dente pearlescent tapioca couscous and ginger spiced apple compote. A Tantalizing balance of mouth watering flavors.
- Chicken and Waffles crunchy panko crusted tender buttermilk chicken cutlets served with a unique miniature savory wild rice waffle and drizzled with an intense pink peppercorn sherry pouvre. Scrumptious and simply provocative.
The owner, Rory Frazier, then recommended the PiÃ¨ce de rÃ©sistance; the house specialty; luscious Pecan Bread Pudding paired with a Jackson Triggs Vidal Ice wine. Each decadent morsel was soaked with the full-bodied flavours of Kentucky bourbon, poppy seeds and caramelized butterscotch bananas foster. A surprisingly Light but rich stickiness of pure heaven. The ice wine was aromatic and graceful, with notes of apricot and black currents. A wonderful accompaniment.
This is now the new HOT spot of Orlando, and I dare all my hip, trendy and mod compatriots to visit and not feel right at home. Go on! I dare you.
164 Lake Ave, Maitland, FL 32571
Phone: (407) 661-1190