Racine, Wisconsin, U.S.A. – SC Johnson continues to build its legacy as an environmental champion with the announcement that it will build two wind turbines at its largest global manufacturing plant, Waxdale, located in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin. The company received clearance to begin construction on the turbines, which will put wind power behind trusted brands such as Windex, Glade, Pledge, Raid and Scrubbing Bubbles. The turbines are expected to be operational by the end of 2012.
“This initiative is a visible symbol of our long legacy to do what’s right for the environment,” said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. “The wind turbines allow us to expand our use of green energy in manufacturing our products. When completed, the addition of these wind turbines will enable us generate on average 100 percent of our electrical energy on-site at Waxdale, with approximately 60 percent of it coming from renewable sources.”
Waxdale, the size of 36 football fields, is SC Johnson’s largest global manufacturing facility. The wind turbines will generate approximately eight million KWH of electricity per year, the equivalent of powering more than 700 homes annually, and reduce carbon emissions associated with powering Waxdale by six thousand metric tons annually. The turbines are expected to be approximately 415 feet high.
The wind turbines are the latest in a series of renewable energy production investments at Waxdale. In addition to the practical energy and sustainability benefits, the investment in the company’s Waxdale facility continues SC Johnson’s commitment to manufacturing in the Racine community.
Wind Turbines “ The Facts, Benefits
The company expects the wind turbines will produce approximately 15 percent of the electrical energy used at Waxdale. The remaining approximately 85 percent of Waxdale’s electrical energy requirements can be produced by two co-generation units installed during the last decade that produce electrical energy and steam. Approximately 27 million KWH per year or 45 percent will be renewable energy from landfill gases used by co-generation unit one; on average, the remaining 23 million KWH or 40 percent will be from methane/clean energy used by co-generation unit two. The electricity generated will be the energy equivalent of more than 600,000 gallons of gasoline every year, equal to an average amount of gas used by more than 1,100 cars annually. This effort will reduce annual carbon emissions associated with powering the Waxdale plant by six thousand metric tons.
Reducing Resource Use
Sustainability has been a focus for SC Johnson for decades. In late 2011, the company was recognized with a Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for their commitment and contribution to the advancement of the nation’s voluntary green power market.Three SWIFT mini-wind turbines at its Racine, Wisconsin. Corporate Headquarters that were installed as a pilot program in 2010, with the goal of reducing Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions while raising awareness that renewable energy can be used in urban settings. In their first year of operation, the mini-turbines have reduced GHGs by 580 pounds.
The company also installed three SWIFT turbines at their Lowell, Ark. sales office in May 2012. Once fully operational, they will be connected to the site’s electrical distribution system and will be capable of generating as much as 3,600 kWh of electricity annually “ the equivalent to the carbon dioxide emissions reduction from 278 gallons of gasoline consumed. The 2009 construction of a 262-foot-tall wind turbine tower helps power SC Johnson’s European manufacturing facility in Mijdrecht, Netherlands. It produces approximately five to six million kWh of electricity a year “ eliminating 3,500-4,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide annually.
An innovative burner/boiler system that since 2007 has enabled the company’s Medan, Indonesia, factory to run on palm shells, the remaining waste of the palm oil industry. Rather than being burned as a waste product, the shells are used as a fuel source, transferring them to the value chain with minimal environmental impact and reducing the company’s diesel fuel usage by 80 percent.